Frequently Asked Questions
on Willie's 9" Telescope
This is a collection of questions with my replies, from ATMs visiting my Telescope pages and asking spesific questions. At some stage, when I have worked up enough energy, I might try and incorporate all of these into my pages. For now, you can read them in their original form. If you have any more questions, please e-mail me.
Q & A's
- Anthony Davoli asked about the split-ring gearing and dimensions.
- Callum Potter also asked about the split-ring sizes and how I made the split-ring.
- Gary Thorup wanted measurements and ideas to convert his 8" Dobsonian into a Split-Ring Equatorial.
- Eduardo Perez asked if my mount was suitable for astrophotography and the panelboard thickness and deformation of the mount.
- Paul Herrick wanted to know how the Declination axis is attached for building his 8" Dobsonian.
- Paul Shankland needed more clarity on my special rubber bottom truss pole connections for which I then added a drawing.
- Harald Ringsevjen from Norway also asked about the rubber bottom truss clamping arrangement as well as the 9-point floating system for the mirror-cell, my auto-collimator and mirror centre-mark.
- John Ewing from Preuschdorf, France came up with a very nice alternative source for the rubber used in the bottom truss pole connections. I also explained the alternatives I consider for solving my photography problem.
- Lloyd Horton confirmed what I always suspected; that the original telescope was a textbook Texereau.
- Mal MacDonald explained how he is planning to impliment some my ideas into his new 12.5" telescope.
- Craig Fouchi van Port Elizabeth wou weet omtrent die beskikbaarheid van roumateriaal in Suid Afrika vir die slyp van jou eie spieël.
- Sakkie van Rensburg van Boemfontein het inligting oor die aankoop van 'n Eerste Teleskoop in Suid Afrika benodig.
Willie's Telescope Page Telescope Top-end section
Mirror Box section
Telescope Mount section
Be sure to also visit my ATM Links page
Last update : 5 November 1998